Sexual Violence remains a critical social issue.
- Over a third of women have experienced some form of sexual assault since the age of 16 (Ontario Sexual Violence Harassment Action Plan, 2016)
- Almost half (46%) of Indigenous women in Canada have experienced sexual assault in their lifetime
- In 2018, a study found that 2SLGBTQIA+ folks in Canada were almost 3 times more likely than heterosexual Canadians to experience physical or sexual assault (Statistics Canada, 2020)
- The victim/survivor and the accused are known to each other in 82% of cases – as friends, acquaintances, or family members
(Ontario Sexual Violence and Harassment Action Plan, 2016)
- Currently, sexual assault is the only violent crime in Canada that is not on the decline. There were more than 34,200 reports of sexual assault countrywide in 2021, an 18 percent increase from 2020
(Statistics Canada, 2021)
We urge you to take a stand with WSN in our pledge to Eradicate Sexual Violence, and show your support through numerous avenues we have available:
WSN is always looking for dynamic, energetic volunteers who want to support survivors of sexual violence and make a difference in their community!
Volunteers participate in an excellent training program and receive on-going professional development opportunities.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- Crisis Service Volunteer Positions: 24-hour crisis line, online crisis chat/SMS
- Non-Crisis Service Volunteer Positions: Fundraising, Bingo, Community Events and Awareness
- Board of Directors
You can read more about our volunteer opportunities and requirements in our Volunteer Information Package PDF. Please read the Volunteer Information Package BEFORE you apply.
Are you ready to apply to be a WSN Volunteer?
Please note you will be contacted shortly for an interview upon submitting an application.
If interested in the Crisis Service Volunteer Position, please apply here.
If interested in the Non-Crisis Services Volunteer Position(s), please apply here.
If interested in being a Board Member, please review the following file: Board Member Applications